The following is a brief overview of equipment that is available in our core facilities.
Three BioFlo-115 modular benchtop fermentors from New Brunswick are available for growth of yeast and bacteria cultures for experimental production lines or biological studies. Each has a working volume of 2 L and can sustain batch or continuous processing. Temperature, pH, and O2 control are available to maintain optimum growth conditions.
Three AKTAprime plus chromatography systems from GE with various columns are available to purify biological products to any desired purity. An additional AKTApurifier, i.e. HPLC, will also be available in the near future to provide analytical chromatography work.
Sequencing and PCR
The brand new 4300L Li-Cor sequencing system is available for immediate genomic analysis of putative genes or rationally designed vectors. This system can also be adapted for RNA sequencing for culture typing and various other sequencing related experiments. Also available is the Eppendorf Mastercycler Gradient PCR machine.
Plate reader and Spectrophotometer
The Tecan Infinite M200 plate reader provides a highly adaptable platform for product detection and assay development with sample sizes down to 2 µL using the NanoQuant. Enzyme studies and other spectrophotometry works are satisfied by the Beckman DU 800 with available peltier temperature controller and cuvettes holders down to 100 µL volume.
The Eppendorf 5810-R is available for preparative centrifugations that require refrigeration. The available rotors will handle 1.5 mL, 15 mL, 50mL, and 400 mL samples at speed up to 14000 rpm. Non-refrigerated centrifugation can be done via the Eppendorf 5702. This equipment can handle 15 mL, and 50 mL samples with speeds up to 4400 rpm. An ultracentrifuge will also soon be available for ultracentrifugation work.
Selected other essential equipment *
- Milli-Q Academic System with 60L Reservoir
- Forced Convection Oven
- 0.5 mL and 2 mL metal heating blocks
- Mini-Protean Tetra Cell with 300V power source
- Eppendorf Mini-Spin
- Biodoc-It Darkroom Imaging System with M-26 Transilluminator
- Savant DNA 120 Speedvac Concentrator
- Ohaus Scout-Pro SP202 scale
- Ohaus Adventure-Pro AV53 scale
- Vibra Cell Sonicator VCX-130PB (130 watts)
- VistaVision Upright Compound Microscope
- Thermo Scientific Refrigerator (-20°C)
- New Brunswick Ultra-Low Temperature Freezer (<-80°C)
- VWR Water Bath Model 1226
- VWR Stirrer-Heated Plates Model VMS-C7S1
- Eppendorf pipets and multi-channel pipets
*This is not an exhaustive list. Please feel free to inquire.